At the Peak of Perfection!
The city of Bedford is located in Bedford County. The Fourth Duke of Bedford, John Russell, gave Bedford its name. In 1754 Bedford County was formed from Lunenburg County and was named for Bedford, who was then Secretary of State for Great Britain during the reign of King George II. Although New London, in Bedford’s eastern section, was the first county seat, the seat was moved to the more centrally located town of Liberty in 1782. This is the present-day City of Bedford.
Bedford County is bordered by the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west, the James River on its northeast and Smith Mountain Lake to the south.
The city covers an area of 6.81 square miles of history, culture, outstanding architecture, boutiques and fine dining.
Thomas Jefferson, architect of The University of Virginia, author of The Declaration of Independence and President of the United States, chose to build a home in Bedford - Poplar Forest, which Jefferson designed as his personal retreat. Robert E. Lee, the Confederate’s general and loyal Bedford visitor, rode his horse, Traveler, farther up Sharp Top at the Peaks of Otter than anyone else. Located in the town suffering the highest per capita D-Day losses in the nation, the National D-Day Memorial pays tribute to the Allied Forces participating in the largest land, sea, and air operation in history: the invasion of Normandy, June 6, 1944.