Conveniently located only 35 minutes from Dulles International Airport and
within an hour's drive from world class cultural centers, restaurants and
fashionable retail areas of Washington, D.C. and its suburbs, the Town of
Warrenton offers a business location and quality of life of unsurpassed beauty
and opportunity in the heart of Virginia's famed horse country.
A favorite Warrenton landmark is a statue of Chief Justice John Marshall
which was erected in 1959 during Fauquier County's Bicentennial Celebration. The
statue is located on Main Street to the left of the Old Courthouse. A Fauquier
County native, Justice Marshall began his law practice in Warrenton. After the
Civil War, Warrenton came to be known throughout the nation for its galaxy of
brilliant lawyers who practiced at its bar and as a mecca for horse lovers. In
1883 the Warrenton Hunt was established and in 1900 the Warrenton Horse Show,
which has achieved national fame as the "Hunter Show of America," began. In 1922
the first Virginia Gold Cup Race was run. Other hunts, such as the Casanova and
Old Dominion, are located within a few miles of the town.
The quaintness, tradition and charm of bygone eras are apparent along Old
Town Warrenton streets lined with historic houses and brick sidewalks. Townsfolk
gather on the steps of the post office or at a coffee shop to pass the time of
day, perhaps pausing to listen as the old courthouse clock strikes the hour.
Old Town Warrenton was recently named one of the Prettiest Painted Places in
America by the Paint Quality Institute.