Cumberland County was established in 1749 from Goochland County. The
county is named for William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, second son of
King George, II of Great Britain. From 1749 until the eastern portion
was detached from Powhatan County in 1777, Mosby Tavern served as the
county courthouse. The tavern subsequently became known as "Old
Cumberland Courthouse." In 1778, the narrow triangular area bordering
the southern bank of the James River was annexed from Buckingham County.
Bear Creek Lake State Park is located 4.5 miles from the town of
Cumberland, as well as Cumberland State Forest.