Formed in 1742 from Hanover County, Louisa County was named after Princess Louisa, daughter of King George II and Queen Caroline of England, wife of King Frederick V of Denmark.
Ideally located in the rolling Central Piedmont region near the heart of Virginia in the prosperous Richmond, Charlottesville, Fredericksburg triangle, Louisa County is within 500 miles of one-half of the nation's population. The 514 square miles are predominantly farm and forest lands, mixed with business, industrial, and residential properties. The county seat, the Town of Louisa, is located just 50 miles from the state capital in Richmond, 95 miles from the nation's capital in Washington, D.C., 35 miles from Charlottesville, home of Thomas Jefferson's University, and 45 miles from Fredericksburg. The town of Mineral is the county's other incorporated town.
From the outdoor opportunities at Lake Anna to wonderful fruits of the vine at Cooper Vineyards, your explorations of Louisa County will surely reveal great treasures and create even better memories.
Make plans to attend the reenactment of the Battle of Trevilian Station.
On June 11 and 12, 1864, near the small depot at Trevilian Station, there occurred the greatest all-cavalry battle of the War Between the States. Here in Louisa County, Virginia, some 9,300 Federal cavalry with 20 pieces of horse artillery under the command of major General Philip H. Sheridan were intercepted by the commands of Major General Wade Hampton and Fitzhugh Lee. The Confederate forces numbered some 6,450 cavalry and 14 guns of the horse artillery. The two Confederate divisions were under the command of Major General Hampton. A fierce 2 day struggle ensued and ended by the retreat of the Union Forces on the night of June 12th.