settled by French Huguenots in the early 1700's, Powhatan County was
created by The Virginia General Assembly in 1777. The County was named
in honor of the Indian Chief Powhatan, father of Pocahontas. The
original courthouse was constructed in 1778 and the immediate area was
named Scottville after General Charles Scott, a revolutionary war hero.
In 1850 a small portion of Chesterfield County was annexed, creating the
current boundaries of Powhatan County.
Located in Virginia's Central Piedmont between the Appomattox and James Rivers, Powhatan is twenty miles west of Richmond and is within an easy two-hour drive from the Atlantic Ocean, Washington, D.C., Colonial Williamsburg, and the Blue Ridge Mountains.