- Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest
- 1542 Bateman Bridge Road
- Region Central Virginia
- Locality Bedford
- Saturday, October 24, 2015 (6:00 PM-8:00 PM)
- Saturday, October 24, 2015 (6:30 PM-8:30 PM)
- Saturday, October 24, 2015 (7:00 PM-9:00 PM)
- Saturday, October 24, 2015 (7:30 PM-9:30 PM)
- Saturday, October 24, 2015 (8:00 PM-10:00 PM)
- Phone: (434) 525-1806
- Museum Shop: (434) 534-8120
- Mary Massie email@example.com
- Poplar Forest Plantation www.poplarforest.org/events
Legends of the Land
Saturday, October 24 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Legends of the Land returns this year to shine a new light on the lives of the enslaved men and women of Jefferson’s plantation. Visitors on these annual lantern-lit tours will be guided through the plantation grounds—from the site of the slave quarters to the Cobbs-Hutter-era tenant houses to the Poplar Forest kitchen—with stops along the way where they’ll be introduced to costumed interpreters portraying some of the key members of the enslaved community. Listen to African American folktales, work songs and stories of the period performed by professional storyteller Dylan Pritchett at the slave quarter site. Watch as interpreter Robert Watson demonstrates the 18th-century art of basket making while weaving stories about the enslaved community and how they lived their lives apart from working for their master.
Legends of the Land lantern-lit tours last approximately 2 hours. Tours leave every 30 minutes, beginning at 6:00 p.m., with the last tour leaving at 8:00 p.m. Admission is $20 per person and visitors are encouraged to bring a flashlight and wear comfortable walking shoes. Reservations are required and can be made by calling the Museum Shop at 434.534.8120.
Admission Fee: Admission is $20 per person
Last Updated: 8/4/2015 3:54 PM