Confederate Lieutenant General Ambrose Powell Hill (1825-1865) lived in the original portion of this house from age seven until 1842, when he entered the U.S. Military Academy. Hill's parents enlarged the plain Federal town house into the present Italian Villa-style building just before the Civil War, expanding its depth and adding the third story, heavy bracketed cornice, and cupola. A. P. Hill was one of General Robert E. Lee's most valued lieutenants; he assisted him in nearly every major engagement of the Army of Northern Virginia until felled on April 2, 1865, just after the siege of Petersburg, and was brought to Richmond for burial.
The A.P. Hill Boyhood Home is occupied by commercial businesses. It can be viewed externally on one of the Culpeper Historic District's walking tours.