The best way to see this quintessential Southern town and admire its historic buildings and garden-filled homes is to stroll the shady streets. The Accomack County seat was established here in the 1600s with many of the present day homes constructed in the late 1700s through the late 19th century. The town center is the Courthouse Green at the intersection of Front St. and Courthouse Ave. The Victorian brick Clerk’s office holds historic court records dating back to 1663 and the cannon located here is from the American Revolution. The most well known town building is Debtor’s prison built in 1783 as the county jailor’s residence until it was converted in 1824 to incarcerate debtors.
A café serves breakfast and lunch.