Aldie Mill (1807-1809) is Virginia's only known mill powered by tandem water wheels. The complex consists of the merchant mill, country mill, granary and store house.
The mill hums with activity with demonstration grindng on the original French burr stones giving visitors a glimpse of Loudoun County's rich agricultural past. President James Monroe, a mill customer, was once loaned $5 by the miller. During the Civil War, the mill provided grain for both Federal and Confederate troops. The mill at the eastern gateway to the Mosby confderacy stood as a withness to the 1863 Battle of Aldie which was a prelude to Gettysburg.
Aldie Mill annually sponsors a major regional art show, the ALDIE MILL ART SHOW & SALE for the benefit of the Mill.
The show is held each Fri., Sat, & Sun in September from 11 am to 6pm.
Last Updated: 2/15/2008 12:59 PM