"Appomattox," the seven foot bronze statue erected in 1889 in honor of Alexandria's Confederate dead, is located at the intersection of South Washington and Prince streets where 800 Alexandria troops mustered on May 24, 1861.
The names of more than one hundred men who went to war but did not return are engraved on the granite base of the monument. The R.E. Lee Camp of Confederate Veterans commissioned the statue, sculpted by M. Casper Buberl based on a soldier in the battlefield painting by John A. Elder. The finished statue was so well-received that replicas began popping up throughout the South and the R.E. Lee Camp applied for and received a copyright for the statuary design in 1892.
Today, the monument is owned by the Mary Custis Lee-17th Virginia Regiment Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The chapter, whose museum is located nearby at 806 Prince Street, documented the statue in a 1990s survey for the "Save Outdoor Sculpture!" project by Heritage Preservation and the Smithsonian.
Last Updated: 6/4/2014 11:56 AM