The original Boyd Tavern was constructed in 1790.
It consisted of a small one-story dwelling & tavern. Around 1816 the building was altered and expanded reflecting the nucleus of the present structure. By the 1820s, the building had evolved into a federal style.
Following the civil war, the owners sought to give the tavern a different appearance. These changes are attributed to Jacob Holt, an architect-builder working in southside Virginia in the 1870's. The early decades of the 20th century saw further exterior alterations.
From the plain, country ordination of Alexander Boyd to a thriving hotel, to a boarding house which converted to apartments in 1922.
Tavern is open for tours: 11:00am to 4:00 pm (Mon thru Fri). Be sure to visit us online to read more about Boyd Tavern.