Boykin's Tavern is named for Francis Boykin, who served as a lieutenant with Patrick Henry and later camped with George Washington at Valley Forge. Boykin inherited this land in 1780, as well as the house that had stood there since 1762. A smart businessman, he donated land for the Isle of Wight Courthouse of 1800.
Union troops camped out on the lawn around the Tavern and the courthouse in the summer of 1864. "A Brief History of Isle of Wight County, Virginia". by Col. E. M. Morrison.
Hours: Wed.-Sat. 10-4. Closed January and February.