Brandon was originally a vast land grant to John Martin, companion of Captain John Smith, on his first voyage to America. The tract was known as Martin's Brandon. In 1637, merchants John Sadler and Richard Quiney and mariner William Barber, bought Martin's Brandon. They and their heirs farmed it successfully until 1720 when it was sold to Nathaniel Harrison.
The house was built c. 1765 by Nathaniel Harrison II, for his son Benjamin Harrison. Brandon remained in the Harrison family until 1926, when it was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Robert W. Daniel. The Daniels undertook the restoration of the house and grounds.
Today, the house is furnished with 1760s English and American furniture. The expansive estate contains more than 4,500 acres, of which 1,600 acres are cultivated with soybeans, wheat and barley. Gardens and grounds are open daily. There is an admission fee.
Last Updated: 7/29/2013 8:47 AM