The Buchanan Swinging Bridge is 366 feet long, 57.5 feet tall, the only one of its type to cross the James River and owned by VDOT. In 1999 the Swinging Bridge was recognized as a National Register Historic Landmark as part of the Town of Buchanan National Register Historic District.
Portions of the large stone piers were constructed in 1851 for the Buchanan Turnpike Company's Toll Bridge. Toll for every person was five cents with an additional five cents for each horse, mule or oxen and five cents for each wagon.
On June 13, 1864 the covered bridge was burned by Confederate General McCausland in an effort to prevent Federal troops from crossing the James River on their way to Lynchburg. The bridge was rebuilt but washed away in a flood of 1877. At this time, the R&A Railroad Company rebuilt a toll free covered bridge. In 1897 this wood covered bridge was replaced with a steel bridge that remained in use until 1938.
In July of 1937 construction of the current concrete James River Bridge was started with an agreement to maintain pedestrian access. On July 4, 1938, the bridge was dedicated. The bridge is adjacent to many shops & restaurants in downtown Buchanan.
Last Updated: 1/23/2015 2:34 PM