Built in 1709 during the Queen Anne period by Col. Augustine Moore, Chelsea is the 2nd oldest Virginia Plantation open for tours. It is on the National Historic Registry.
Just before the battle of Yorktown in the Revolutionary War’s 1781 campaign, General Lafayette used the manor house for headquarters. Robert E. Lee's grandmother was born and married here as she was the granddaughter of Col. Moore. The parson at St John's Church in King William was the schoolmaster at Chelsea schoolhouse. The Knights of the Golden Horseshoe was formed here by Governor Spottswood.
Tours Th-Sun 10-4:30, and Mon-Wed by appointment. Group Tours require notice. Directions from Richmond: I64 E to exit 220, go ~8 miles, L at light onto Rt. 30 (Main St becomes King William Rd). Go ~5-6 miles to R on Rt. 635 (Chelsea Rd); 1 mile to driveway.
Last Updated: 9/5/2008 8:44 AM