The Christiansburg Institute was founded in 1866 by Union Captain Charles S. Schaeffer an agent of the Freedman's Bureau. The school was supported by the Quakers Society and the first to educate blacks in Southwest Virginia. In 1895, Booker T. Washington helped mold the school into a technical institute. Currently the buildings are in the process of restoration including the Edgar A. Long Building and a replica smokehouse. They are unfortunately not open for the public at present but tours can be arranged by appointment.
Hours: By appointment