The Culpeper National Cemetery was established April 13, 1867 and was dedicated as the final resting place for the heroes of the United States who fell in battle or died of disease during the Civil War in the surrounding area.
The flagpole at the high point of the cemetery marks the location from which the Confederates fired upon Union soldiers at the Depot during the battle of Culpeper Court House. There are many Civil War Soldiers buried in the cemetery. The Monument to the Unknown Soldier and several granite monuments commemorate soldiers from several states, 17 interments in the Officers Circle around the flagpole, and one Confederate Soldier.
Donated burial flags are flown on Veterans' Day and Memorial Day to honor the veterans. Ceremonies are held and sponsored by the VFW and the American Legion on both days of recognition.