Fort Huger is a strategic Civil War fort located on a bluff overlooking the James River. This fort, along with Fort Boykin, was established to block the approach by land and river to the Confederate capital in Richmond. In 1861, Confederate engineer Col. Andrew Talcott surveyed several defensive sites along the James River to protect Richmond including Harden's Bluff and nearby Fort Boykin. The site at Harden's Bluff was renamed Fort Huger for Gen. Benjamin Huger who commanded the Department of Norfolk. Slaves and free blacks constructed the fort under the direction of the Confederate Engineer Bureau, and detachments of Lt. Col. Fletcher Archer's 5th Virginia Infantry Battalion were posted here.
Isle of Wight restored this fort and opened it to the public in 2007.
Hours: Dusk til Dawn
Last Updated: 7/28/2011 5:28 PM