Fotheringay was built soon after 1796, when Colonel George Handcock bought the property from Colonel Joseph Kent who has acquired the land in 1793. Prior to 1793, William Robinson lived and operated a tavern on the property. George Hancock served as a Colonel of the Virginia Line in the Revolutionary War and was aide-de-camp to Count Kasimir Pulaski. Colonel Hancock represented Botetourt County in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1784 – 1792 and represented the citizens of the area as a member of the Third and Fourth United States Congress. Colonel Hancock's daughter, Julia, married General William Clark of the famed Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804-1806. Colonel Hancock died in 1820 and Legend has it that he is buried on the property either standing or seated on a stone bench so that he could look into the valley below and watch his slaves work.
Fotheringay is still maintained as a private residence and is not available to the public. The property is posted and the coordinates listed for this waymark were taken at the entrance to the property on U. S. Route 460. Please be respectful of the property and respect the wishes of the property owner.