Located at the Blue Ridge School in Dyke, the Chapel’s design was donated in 1924 by Ralph Adams Cram, the nation’s foremost practitioner of the Gothic style. Cram was best know for such monumental works as the West Point and Princeton University chapels. The spare but deft work, executed in native fieldstone, was carried to completion in 1932 by local workmen and students under the supervision of Charlottesville architect Stanislaw Makielski. Makielski also designed the adjacent Tudor-style Martha Bagby Battle House, built in 1934 as the headmaster’s residence.
Last Updated: 2/17/2010 1:04 PM