The First Corps of the Union Army of the Potomac commanded by Gen. John Reynolds camped here June 18-24, 1863, keeping a Federal force between Washington and the Confederate army then known to be on the move. The armies collided a few days later at Gettysburg. A telegraph/flag signal station was located on high ground here with a commanding view of the Potomac River Valley. Information about the Civil War history is available at the visitor center. The site of the signal station, its view still commanding, is a short hike away.
Hours: 9am-5pm daily