The Halifax County Courthouse is listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register and occupies a site that has been used for court purposes since the Revolution. The Courthouse was built in 1838, houses records that go back to 1752, and is one of the Classical Revival court buildings erected by master designer and builder, Dabney Cosby and son, Dabney Minor Cosby.
Dabney Cosby worked with Thomas Jefferson on the construction of the University of Virginia and participated in the design and construction of houses, churches, and public buildings. Cosby abandoned the strict temple form for the Halifax County courthouse in favor of a T-plan and Greek Ionic order. One significant factor is that the attorney’s offices are still located on the Courthouse Square which is an old tradition not often seen today.
Last Updated: 7/1/2005 12:45 PM