The historic courthouse (c.1735) along with the Hanover Tavern, and early 19th century jail and clerk's office, served as the political and judicial center for the county. Here Patrick Henry sucessfully argued the famous "Parson's Cause" case against the Crown in 1763, and on the eve of the Revolution, citizens of the county assembled inside the courthouse to adopt the "Hanover Resolutions." The courthouse is open by appointment. Telephone 804-537-5815. Grounds open year round.
Last Updated: 10/6/2009 2:54 PM