John Carter had the first church built on this site; it was completed in 1670 after his death. In 1730, his son Robert "King" Carter, colonial Virginia's most powerful planter, proposed to build a brick church here at his own expense, which the vestry of Christ Church Parish accepted. Finished in 1735, Christ Church is the best-preserved and most finely crafted of colonial Virginia's Anglican parish churches. The church's detailed brickwork, particularly the molded-brick doorways, distinguishes the exterior. The interior includes original high-backed pews, triple-decker pulpit, walnut altarpiece, and stone pavers. The elaborately carved tombs of Robert Carter and his two wives stand in the churchyard. Since 1958, the Foundation for Historic Christ Church has led preservation, research and interpretation of the site.
Last Updated: 7/11/2008 10:26 AM