Overlooking the James River, Kittiewan Plantation is a typical Colonial-period medium-size plantation house characteristic of the Virginia Tidewater. Built in the 18th Century, the first known owner of the house was Dr. William Rickman. In 1776 Rickman was appointed by the Continental Congress to oversee the Virginia hospitals during the American Revolution. During the Civil War, the property was occupied by Union troops under General Philip Sheridan as the Army of the Potomac prepared to cross the James River during the Seige of Petersburg. Stewardship of the house and surrounding 720 acres is administered by the Archeological Society of Virginia. An archaeological resource center is under development on the premises. Tours available on the second Saturday of every month (March through December) or by appointment. Group rates are available with advanced notice. Please call for more information.
Admission Fee: 7.00
Last Updated: 2/23/2012 1:06 PM