Edinburg was settled in the latter part of the 18th century by Germans and Swiss whom the rich soil, beautiful countryside and plentiful water of the Shenandoah River and Stony Creek.
In the early 1800’s Philip Grandstaff settled on Stony Creek. Grandstaff built a gun factory that made guns for the War of 1812. The 1870’s brought a revival of trade and the town was prosperous and lively. Edinburg was the mecca for the nearby Civilian Conservation Camp boys.
Consequently, the town has retained much of its 19th century charm with lovely Victorian homes. Distinctive Edinburg architectural features include unusual porches, beautifully crafted hand-carved woodwork and locally crafted stone walls, town museum, walking tours, shopping, and more!
Just one stop along the Wilderness Trail in Shenandoah County!