Built in 1870 for the South Carolina & Georgia Railroad, this private car was used by the president of the railroad and is one of the oldest and finest examples of typical passenger car construction of the late 19th century. As built, it contained an observation room, two staterooms, a dining area, and facilities for the porter and a kitchen area. Most of the original fixtures are intact, including the lavatories, lighting fixtures, and even the speedometer in the rear observation room. Today the car houses a regional visitor information center.
Last Updated: 8/18/2005 3:34 PM