Located in the historic Town of Smithfield is the Old Courthouse. This building was built in 1750 and used as a courthouse until 1800 when the court was moved to Isle of Wight County Courthouse. After that time, it was converted to a private three-story dwelling. The private dwelling was constructed in such a way that the original structure of the courthouse was preserved almost completely intact. In 1959 the Isle of Wight branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) began restoration of the building to its original form. It is now open to the public with no charge for admittance. The adjoining clerk's office was built in 1799 and has been used as an office or a shop since 1800.
Last Updated: 8/30/2007 10:05 AM