The United States Department of the Interior, Park Service, has declared Jessee's Mill to be a national historic landmark and was previously designated a state historical landmark by the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Historic Resources.
Jessee's Mill began operation over two hundred years ago, predating the census and tax records of 1790. The mill was the primary source for ground agricultural products and other trading in the Mill Creek Area. The mill is located on Jessee's Mill Road, State Route 645, north of Route 71, between Lebanon and Cleveland.
John Jessee, a first war of independence infantryman and musician, purchased the mill from William Gilmore in 1794. The mill continued mechanical improvement over the years and around 1890 was made into the three story structure which stands today.