Ker Place, a National and Virginia Historical Landmark built in 1799-1803 by Agnes and John Ker, is the finest example of Federal architecture on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Only two families lived in this mansion from when the Kers moved in in 1801 until it was purchased by the ESVHS in 1960.
For approximately 50 years a glass-enclosed cupola adorned the top of the house to view trading vessels coming into Onancock Creek.
This grand Federal house, admired by generations and preserved by its owners, is notable for the architectual details that its builder skillfully constructed.
Today, Ker Place serves as the headquarters for the Eastern Shore of Virginia Historical Society as well as an elegant place for the community to enjoy and to use for social events and gatherings. The house is a museum, a library, an archaeology lab and a place where people can enjoy learning about our heritage.