Sometimes called the "Little Church," the Union Church has long been a landmark of the Mount Jackson area. The original building on this site was a wooden one, and with the surrounding land was bequeathed to the community by the will of Reuben Moore dated June 11, 1822. That first building was used as a school and perhaps at one time as a town hall. The present brick building was erected in 1825, It was used as a hospital during the War between the States and suffered some damage during that war.
It has always been a nondenominational church, used by many different congregations over the years. The cemetery surrounding the church "history" of Mount Jackson, for it contains the grave of a Revolutionary soldier Daniel Gray.
Part of the Mount Jackson Walking Tour.
One of the many stops along the Wilderness Road in Shenandoah County!