Danville's only National Cemetery was created just after the Civil War in 1867. During the War, wagons carried the corpses of those who died in Danville's military prisons to a cemetery about half a mile south of downtown, where they were interred in mass graves. After the War, the bodies were exhumed and buried beneath individual markers or sent to their homes in the North for reburial. Of the hundreds of casualities in Danville's six prisons, 1,323 men (148 unknown) were buried in what has become known as the National Cemetery on Lee Street. Please stop by the Welcome Center for more information.