New Kent Road (also known as Old Stage Road) was an eighteenth-century road between Williamsburg and New Kent Courthouse. In the Revolutionary War, the road was used by both British and American forces travelling from Richmond to Williamsburg in 1781. After the Battle of Williamsburg in 1862, Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston used the road as he withdrew to Richmond; he was slowly followed by the Army of the Potomac, led by Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan. Today's State Route 30 generally follows the route of the old New Kent Road.
Last Updated: 7/29/2011 11:52 AM