Standing at the end of what was once the southernmost peninsula in Mathews County, now surrounded by water and hundreds of yards from the mainland, the lighthouse marks the entrance to Mobjack Bay. Authorized by Congress and commissioned by Thomas Jefferson in 1801, this 63-foot high sandstone tower with its spiraling stone steps to the lighthouse cage, was built in 1805 by Elzy Burroughs, the first keeper. The keeper’s dwelling once stood next to the lighthouse on a five-acre tract. The 200th anniversary of the first illumination was celebrated on January 17, 2005. It is the third oldest lighthouse still standing on the Chesapeake Bay, tenth oldest in the US. Today, it may be seen from the New Point Comfort Observation Walkway located at the southern end of Route 600. Virginia Highway Historical Marker N-89.