Oatlands Plantation is a Greek Revival home built in 1803 by land baron George Carter, an Englishman. This 260-acre plantation, which opened to the public in 1966, is one of 18 national properties on the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Greek Revival ornaments adorn the interior, distinguished by lofty ceilings with molded plaster designs, carved woodwork, an octagonal drawing room and flanking staircases -- instead of the customary central stairway. The grounds also include formal gardens which are among the finest examples of early Virginia landscape design.
Last Updated: 8/4/2005 3:11 PM