(1755) The original structure was completely burned by the British in 1779, but was rebuilt shortly after the Revolutionary War. During the Civil War, the courthouse served as part of the headquarters for Major General Peck of the Union Army. In 1837, the courthouse burned again during the "Great Fire" and was rebuilt and used until 1998.
The Courthouse has undergone an extensive renovation and has been repurposed as the Suffolk Visitor Center and Tourism office. This Suffolk landmark is also home to the Great Dismal Swamp Gallery.
Last Updated: 2/16/2011 2:30 PM