Piney Grove at Southall's Plantation is located off the Virginia Route 5 Scenic Byway in Williamsburg's James River Plantation country. The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and now offers guided house tours, historic bed and breakfast lodging and a place for very special events. The Gordineer family welcomes you to their museum of history, antiques and architecture.
The site of PINEY GROVE was first the homeland of the Chickahominy tribe. The original portion of PINEY GROVE was built circa 1790 on the prosperous three-hundred plantation of Furneau Southall. Today Piney Grove is a rare survival of Early Virginia Log Architecture. The building was enlarged in 1850 by Furnea Southall's grandson, John Stubblefield and in 1905 as the home of Civil War veteran Thomas Fletcher Harwood. During the second half the the nineteenth century the nineteenth century the property was owned by successful Richmond entrepreneur Edmund Archer Saunders. PINEY GROVE is furnished with family heirlooms and a collection of antiques and artifacts that chronicles the history of Piney Grove and the Southall Plantation, as well as the entire James River Plantation Country.