Remains of Colonial pottery factory operated by William Rogers from approximately 1720 to 1745 in direct violation of English trade law. Rogers produced a quality of pottery that was equal to, and in competition with, products made by British potters. At its height, the complex included 2 kilns, supporting work areas and a work force that produced at least 23 types of earthenware and stoneware products. Rogers sold his goods as far away as New England and the West Indies.
Today the remains of the pottery factory are important evidence of the role Rogers and his potters had in establishing economic independence for the colonies. The factory site is located a short walk from the Yorktown Battlefield Visitor Center, and one block from the Nelson House. The site includes remains of one kiln, as well as exhibits about the Poor Potter.
Last Updated: 6/30/2008 3:44 PM