On the National Register of Historic Places, the central feature of this historic district is the courthouse. It was designed by noted New York architect Alexander Jackson Davis and completed in 1849 in the Greek Revival style of architecture.
Other points of interest include the "Old Jail" which houses the Powhatan Historical Society, a lovely garden depicting area flowers, plants, and vegetables, a historic tavern, and several other historic buildings.
During the civi war, after the fall of Richmond, a large Confederate wagon supply train, led by General Lee's oldest son, Custis, passed through here. The much needed supplies were en route to General Lee in Amelia, but never got there. The wagons were captured shortly after crossing the Appomattox river into Amelia.