The R. R. Smith Center, named in honor of long-time state and community leader R. R. "Jake" Smith, is a collaboration of three leading educational organizations in the Staunton/Augusta County area of the Shenandoah Valley: Augusta County Historical Society, Historic Staunton Foundation, and the Staunton Augusta Art Center. The center is housed in what was the Eakleton Hotel, a 25,200 square foot building designed in 1893 by noted local architect T. J. Collins. It is located in Staunton's "Beverley Historic District", a National Register district. The Smith Center houses exhibit galleries, a lecture hall, studios, educational classrooms, archival storage, a library and reading room, board and committee meeting space, and offices for the three non profits. The center has created the regions only history and art center.