The present St. George's Church building was built in 1849. It was the third to be constructed on this site. The first was a wooden structure built in the 1730s, the second, a more substanial building, was created in 1815.
The present building was built in the mid-19th century and is a fine example of the Romanesque Revival style that was popular at the time.
St. George's was attended by George Washington and his family, and it was used as a hospital during the Civil War. Today, Saint George remains active in the community supporting many charity and social organizations.