Schwartz Tavern, Blackstone’s oldest building, was purchased by an early settler in Nottoway County named John Schwartz in 1790. In May 1798, Schwartz was issued a license to operate a tavern at this site. Schwartz Tavern has been altered several times over its history. A ballroom addition is on its north side. The southern end of the tavern dates from the early 19th century and was known as the “dwelling house”. In the 1840’s, the two buildings were connected. The interior trim may be characterized as Federal in style based primarily on the form of the four downstairs mantles. An inventory taken at the time of John Schwartz's death in 1807 is displayed on site and has been used to determine the approximate furnishings for the tavern. In later years, the tavern became the home of Gilliam Anderson until his death in 1948.
Last Updated: 6/11/2013 2:06 PM