The Scottsville Museum preserves the heritage of Scottsville, Virginia, an historic James River town. Originally called Scott's Landing, the town became the first county seat for Albemarle County in 1744. Scottsville was incorporated in 1818 at the northern most flow of the James River, an area known as Horseshoe Bend. The town's history closely links to the James River, serving first as a port for bateaux transportation and then as the terminus of the Staunton and James River Turnpike, which connected the James River with the Valley of Virginia. Later Scottsville became a center of Civil War activity. Housed inside the former Disciples of Christ Church, built in 1846, the Museum displays exhibits on James River transportation, the Civil War, Native American artifacts, town life, old photographs, and more.
Last Updated: 3/16/2011 7:40 PM