The limestone courthouse in the center of historic Woodstock. Allegedly designed by Thomas Jefferson, the court house dates back to 1795 and was visited by soldiers from both sides during the Civil War, including Generals Banks, Fremont, Hunter, Sheridan, Ashby, Rosser, Imboden, Jones, Hampton, Gordon, Shield, Early and Ewell.
Currently this is the oldest courthouse still in use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Nearby history in the town includes Lawyers Row, the Wickham House, walking tours, and the Woodstock Museum. Just one of the many stops along the Wilderness Road in Shenandoah County.
Last Updated: 12/13/2013 9:57 AM