Sherwood Forest was the home of John Tyler, the 10th President of the United States (1841-45). The plantation buildings, ca 1680 to 1850, have been in constant use. Nine surviving dependencies supported the operation of the President's 1,600 acre working plantation and constitute one of the most complete plantation yards in America. A self-guided tour over the 28 acres grounds notes some of the 35 non-native species of trees planted by the former president, including America's first Ginkgo tree which was a gift from Commodore Matthew C. Perry after President Tyler reopened the Oriental trade routes in the mid-1800s. House tours are available by appointment only.