Site of Historic Fort Loudoun

419 N. Loudoun Street
Winchester, VA 22601
Region Shenandoah Valley
Locality Winchester City
Phone: (540) 535-7377

This fort was George Washington’s regimental headquarters from 1756-1758 and would serve as the command center for the chain of forts extending along the entire Virginia frontier.

The only portions of the fort remaining today are the well and remnants of one of the four bastions. On-going archaeological investigations at the site have uncovered intact period deposits including part of the foundation for the barracks as well as numerous individual artifacts including ceramics, musket balls, bayonet parts and animal bones.

The Fort Loudoun site is being preserved by the French and Indian War Foundation whose headquarters are located at 419 N. Loudoun Street.

The site has been accepted into the Virginia Landmarks Registry and is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Visitors to Winchester can find additional information and exhibits related to Fort Loudoun at the Winchester-Frederick County Visitors Center and the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. An audio tour is available at the Fort Loudoun site, dial (703) 574-6110, and on the Foundation website & Learn.

Last Updated: 1/7/2015 4:16 PM
  • Virginia Music

    Virginia is for Music Lovers
  • Survey

    Tell us how we are doing.


    Start button


  • Get the Virginia Travel Guide

    2015 Travel Guide promo

    Order your Free Virginia Travel Guide.

     Order now button 

  • Travel Updates

    What's going on around Virginia? Subscribe to the Virginia eNews.