Slash Christian Church (D.O.C)

Slash Church 1729, B&W view of side of building & part of 1955 Educational building. Slash Church built 1729 with 1955 addition built 1955 front view. Photo by D.A.Jones - historian
Slash Church 1729, B&W view of side of building & part of 1955 Educational building.
Address
11353 Mt. Hermon Road
Ashland, VA 23005
Region Central Virginia
Locality Hanover
Church Phone & Fax: (804) 798-4520
Historian Phone: (804) 746-3949
Fax: (804) 798-1485
Email dajonesholdstl@gmail.com
Email for church Admin. admin@slashcc.org
Website www.slashcc.org
Website www.holdstillproductions.com/slash_church.htm

Slash Church, built 1729 by the Anglican Parishioners, of southern yellow pine timbers cut & hand-hewn from the property in Hanover. Pastored by Rev.Patrick Henry,uncle of Patrick Henry,from 1737-1777. Henry Clay-the Mill boy of the Slashes was a member.Revolution: Slash was turned back to the community and used by the Methodists & the Disciples of Christ,the later purchasing Slash in 1842 & restoring this original wood building. In 1862, Slash was used as a 'hotel' for Confederate Brig.Gen.L.O'Brian Branch & 4500 Soldiers May 27,1862 during The Battle of Slash Church (in the South) & The Battle of Hanover Courthouse (in the North). VA Historical Marker E105: "This white weatherboarded structure survives as the oldest and best preserved frame colonial church in Virginia, and the only one to escape enlargement." Tours by Appointment - Free




Last Updated: 10/25/2011 2:06 PM
  • Get the Virginia Travel Guide

    2014 Virginia Travel Guide

    Order your Free Virginia Travel Guide.

     Order now button  

  • Travel Updates

    What's going on around Virginia? Subscribe to the Virginia eNews.

    Subscribe