The two-story center block was former Confederate General William Mahone's office and the state headquarters for his radical Republican Readjuster Party. General Mahone worked extensively to advance the African-American population in Virginia. In the early 1880's, the Readjuster party achieved many progressive reforms, including the establishment of Virginia State University and Central State Hospital. By the late 1880's, the Readjuster's political power was diminished by a reactionary conservative movement. The building is now in use as a commerical business.