Historic St. Anne's Parish was founded as a Church of England Parish in 1745. During the pre-revolutionary war period, this parish was the center of sacred and secular life in Albemarle County. The original parish church was "The Ballenger Church" near Howardsville. North Garden Church, Forge Church and Broken Backt Church near Parmyra followed. Our most famous parishioner of the Colonial Period was Thomas Jefferson.
Unfortunately, none of these pre-revolutionary war buildings survived. Today, the parish is comprised of three beautiful active churches: Christ Church, Glendower, 1832; St. John's, Scottsville, 1875; St. Stephen's, Esmont, 1914.