The St. James' House was built around 1768 and is one of the few eighteenth-century frame houses still standing in Fredericksburg. The house was originally home to James Mercer, a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses, first judge of the General Court in Fredericksburg, and the attorney who drew up the will for Mary Washington. Mercer built the house on land once owned by Fielding Lewis, brother-in-law of George Washington. St. James' House has been elegantly restored with an outstanding collection of antiques. The collection includes 17th- and 18th-century porcelains, brass, pewter, and portraits. The house is particularly noted for the collection of antique furniture and decorative arts assembled by Daniel Breslin and William Tolerton, who restored St. James' in the mid-1960's and willed it to the APVA together with an endowment. As of January 2013, St. James' House is owned by Washington Heritage Museums. Open Garden Week, first full week in October and by appointment.